Looking for backpacker jobs in New Zealand? We’ll help you find seasonal work in Kerikeri, Bay of Islands. Here’s what you need to know and what to do…
3 things you must have to qualify for backpacker jobs in New Zealand
To get backpacker jobs in New Zealand you must have these 3 things…
- A current/valid “Working Holiday Visa” with passport
- An IRD number, and
- A New Zealand bank account.
How to get an IRD number
The information you need to get your IRD number has recently changed so please look at this:
- Or visit the Inland Revenue Department (closest to us is Auckland or Whangarei): www.irdgovt.nz
You already have an IRD number?
Perfect – call us on Freephone 0800 407-817 or (09) 407-8170 and ask for David or Victoria who will be able to give you up-to-date information on all the job opportunities. Or email us at email@example.com
We work closely with the local orchards and will be able to advise you on the best way to find work that suits your needs.
Kerikeri is known as the fruit bowl of the north and therefore a great deal of seasonal orchard work is available. Work is available all year round although the busiest season is between March and July depending on the fruit and weather.
The main sorts of work available…
- Fruit picking – Kiwifruit, mandarins, lemons, persimmons and feijoas & avocados. This involves picking fruit from trees or vines into picking bags which can be heavy and hard work but plenty of hours and work when the season begins and you are outdoors all day which is nice.
- Fruit grading and packing. This work is always in the packing houses sorting and packing the fruit for distribution. Can be long shifts but again a great opportunity to earn good money if you are prepared to put the hours in..
To generally get the PACKING jobs you need to apply early and be in Kerikeri at the beginning of the season.
There are plenty of backpacker jobs in New Zealand doing seasonal work such as working in orchards.
Things to remember
Fruit picking and packing is fruit and weather dependant so understanding when the season starts is never easy and when the season does start work can be delayed if the weather changes.
It can be hard work in the orchards and mundane work in the packing houses but you can earn decent money if you put the hours in!
But to travel we all need to earn money and at Hone Heke Lodge we pride ourselves in giving you great support to find work and create a great family atmosphere here while you work those hours. We can not guarantee work but will do our upmost to help you find work and fund your next travel plans.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.
Some other helpful websites…